Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My Favorite Mistake



From Amazon: Two secrets. One bet. Who will break first? 
Taylor Caldwell can't decide if she wants to kiss her new college roommate or punch him. 
On the one hand, Hunter Zaccadelli is a handsome blue-eyed bundle of charm. On the other, he's a tattooed, guitar-playing bad boy. Maybe that's why Taylor's afraid of falling in love with him, or anyone else. She doesn't want to get burned, so she needs him gone before it's too late. 
Hunter himself has been burned before, but Taylor's sexy laugh and refusal to let him get away with anything make her irresistible. Determined not to be kicked out of her life without a fight, Hunter proposes a bet: if she can convince him she either truly loves or hates him, he'll leave the apartment—and leave her alone. 
But when the man behind Taylor's fear of giving up her heart resurfaces, she has to decide: trust Hunter with her greatest secret, or do everything in her power to win that bet and drive him away forever.

What I Thought: This book has a lot of what is typical New Adult lately, but I found myself liking it a lot more that most of the other ones I've read. I would rank this one up with Beautiful Disaster and Easy - those are probably my favorite 2 in the genre so if you're a fan of either, you'll probably really love this one too.

Taylor gets a big surprise when she moves in to her on campus apartment and finds one of her new room mates is a guy. Not just a guy but exactly the type of guy she's avoided her whole life. 

Hot, tattooed and badass Hunter takes one look at Taylor and thinks he's won the lottery. 

All Taylor wants is Hunter out of the apartment. All Hunter wants is Taylor. Period.

Each of them of course has a secret tortured soul, ( I think I should start a collection of them at this point) and a cast of supporting characters that I found to be pretty likable. 

What makes this book stand out from the rest:
Taylor, the heroine is a total badass. She's also really mean which I really kind of liked about her. Within the first 20 minutes or so of meeting Hunter she punches him in the face and knees him in the ..well you know.. She knows she has anger issues and she owns them. I love that she's so tough and that she doesn't take any crap. Her secret is believable as it unfolds, and I like that for once an author took this approach to someone who suffered through the incident that she did. It made her character more believable to me.

Hunter, the hero-ok of course he's going to have tattoos, and deep secrets and be all "assery" (one of my favorite words from this book) on the outside but actually a total good guy in the end. He is much more than just that though and I succumbed to his charm just like Taylor.
One of the things I like most about this book? It actually has an ending. There is a resolution instead of some horribly tortuous cliffhanger. So many of the books in this genre don't do this. My thanks to the author!

I absolutely loved this book in a up all night, didn't put it down till I finished kind of way.

My Rating: 

1 comment:

Christi said...

*ack* this sounds good! Eyeing my way-too-full-tbr-pile....