Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Girl She Used To Be By David Cristofano

WELCOME!!!

I am so glad you are here and that we are going to read together!!

Here's My First Review!

"How do you know who you are if you can't reveal who you've been"

This is the story of Melody, a 26 year old woman who has been caught up in the Witness Protection Program since she was 6. In her entire life she has never known security, trust, or love, only fear and uncertainty. Now, on the run again, she meets up with Jonathan, a member of the very family she's being protected from and decides to change the hand that fate has dealt her. Both Melody and Jonathan are characters so much deeper than what they seem on the surface, and David Cristofano does an amazing job with their development.

Does who we are inside really have that much to do with the names we are given?

Let me just start by saying this story is not what you think it's going to be. I stayed up until 2am reading this book, I simply could not bring myself to put it down. I fell in love with Melody and Jonathan, and now over a week later am still wondering to myself, what happens next? I LOVE IT when a book stays with me like that.

The story is by turns full of action, romance, humor and some sadness. It ends up ending, I think, in the only way it can. It SCREAMS movie to me, and I only hope that if it happens the screenwriters don't ruin it. Melody's insecurities, humor and need to be noticed are attributes I think every woman can relate to.

This story has romance in spades. In fact, I think Jonathan should give lessons. The simply complicated LONGING between Melody and Jonathan really made me wish my husband hadn't been out of town the night I read it.

I LOVED this book. I hope you will pick it up and give it a read. I've placed it on my favorites over there on my Amazon carousel.......-------->>>>>>>>


Favorite Lines: I actually had a lot of them, but this is the one I keep playing in my head.


I stare at the shellfish and the creamy pasta and the bottle of wine. "We've got a table full of aphrodisiacs here."


"I don't need them."


I cock my head and sigh. "Neither do I."


I think I let out a little sigh too just reading it...

Seriously... A man wrote this book, in first person...

how was a man able to get inside a woman's head like that?? Amazing!!

I would love to know what you think of this book! Please join my group "Chic Book Chick" on Goodreads.com. It's free to sign up for a Goodreads account, and then search under "groups" for "Chic Book Chick" and join. I will be opening the discussion starting today, feel free to stop by anytime and add your 2 cents. If you blog about it please link me up in the comment section of this post, or just tell me what you think in your comment.

Now for an amazing treat!!

The author David Cristofano, was gracious enough to let me interview him!!! You can read all about him here. He's been incredibly nice and helpful in answering all my questions.

1. Name 3 things you've read this year.

THE RAW SHARK TEXTS by Steven Hall, ELLA MINNOW PEA by Mark Dunn, and NIGHTS IN RODANTHE by Nicholas Sparks. You can't say I don't try to diversify. I thoroughly enjoyed all three--and for three completely different reasons.



2. Name a character from a book you've read (no matter how long ago) that you still find yourself wondering what happens next.

Reuben Land from Leif Enger's PEACE LIKE A RIVER. What a journey Reuben had! I did not want that story to end, even after the fourth time I'd read it. I'd love to get a look at Reuben's diary. He's just the kind of person you would want for a friend.



3. If you could pick a theme song or songs, a soundtrack if you will, for "The Girl She Used To Be" what are some of the songs you would choose?

Funny you should ask. I did just that over at Largehearted Boy.


(It's totally worth your time to go check out the link either before or after you read the book)


4. If you were casting for the movie based on "The Girl She Used To Be" who would you cast as Jonathan and Melody?

Boy, that is a tough call. I always thought I would envision specific people playing the parts as I wrote the story, but that never happened. I can see Jonathan and Melody in my mind's eye looking and sounding a specific way, but I can't find a pair of actors to match identically. I suppose it would be easier to say those I would not cast.


5. Are you working on anything right now?

Yes, I am working on two different novels concurrently. Both were started before THE GIRL SHE USED TO BE went to print, and now they are vying for the same slots for time and attention. It's been quite difficult to decide which one will be brought to completion first, but it has been fun writing them both.


Dave, I can't thank you enough for your time


AND


I can't wait to read whatever comes out of that brain of yours next!!


AND NOW


THE AUTOGRAPHED COPY OF


"THE GIRL SHE USED TO BE" by David Cristofano goes to

Random.org #17

Fibrejunky!!!

That's you girl!!

You have 48 hours to send me your mailing address or some other lucky CHICK is going to get your copy!!!

Don't forget to come and join us at Goodreads.com

and come back here for FREE BOOK FRIDAY!!!

11 comments:

Jana said...

I am stopping at the book store this afternoon. I LOVE a good book and this one sounds great.
Very cool that you got to interview the author. He sounds like a great guy.

Robynccgirl said...

So cool Amy! I just finished a book last night and need a new one! Thanks for the review!

Jeanne said...

Sounds like a very good story. Just requested it from my library.

Kelly said...

Sounds really good. I'll have to look for that at the library this week.

Carolyn said...

Girlie - love the interview.... and the book sounds like something I would read, and now it will be on the list to get. Good first book - can't wait to see the next one.

Kelly said...

Would you believe our library doesn't have that book?? I just checked online.What's up with that?? I may have to use my Border's coupon this week!

Mandy said...

Ooh, that sounds REALLY good! Like something I could totally get into! :) Great review, Amy!!

angel gurl said...

Wpw thats sounds like an interesting book. I will have to track that one down. Love reading the review. I had to check out his music soundtrack for the book, very divese taste too.

Lee said...

Wow....now that does sound like a gripping read!!! I'll try to find it when I'm in town and start reading!! Thanks for a great Author interview too! And congrats to Carole!!!

FibreJunky said...

Ooooh, that sounds like it's going to be an awesome book!! Thank you!! Will pm you my deets.

Christi said...

Amazing interview and review! I am definitely picking this book up this weekend!!! I can't wait to read it! smiles...