Thursday, June 18, 2009

Katka by Stephen Meier


KATKA
By Stephen Meier
I've never read a novella before...but there's definitely something to be said for something that can be read in just a couple hours, and the author managed to pack a whole lot of excitement in this short book!
From Amazon: Katka by Stephen Meier is a gritty, edgy novel of greed, love, and swindles gone very wrong. When Gavin and his girlfriend team with her best friend Simona to pull a phony mail order bride scam in the Czech Republic, Gavin gets in way over his head in the high-stakes and dangerous business of selling wives. When Gavin talks Katka, his girlfriend, into becoming part of the merchandise, planning to bait-n-switch the client in the end, things go awry and Katka disappears with the client. Partnering with the jealous and volatile Simona, Gavin begins to lament this risky life he has chosen, but finds the money is something he can’t walk away from. Gavin’s doubts grow; the con begins to consume him, and he finds himself thinking of Katka, the fate he dealt her, and whether he can undo the biggest mistake of his life. Written with staccato grit and streetwise savvy, Katka reads like a Quentin Tarantino movie. Stephen Meier’s work will leave you begging for more.

What I Liked: As I said, I really appreciated how much was packed into a pretty short read. I didn't feel like I missed anything. I really liked the "grittiness" of it. At it's base it's a story of love and money, and how far people will go for the sake of greed. The three main characters Katka, Gavin, and Simona are also very well developed. This is a great book to take to the beach or the pool!


Stephen Meier was kind enough to grant an interview!

1. What's your favorite thing you've read in the last year? Finished up Irving Welsh's, "If You Liked School, You'll Love Work". I love his style.

2. Name a character from a book you've read who you still find yourself thinking about. Just reread the Odyssey, and have been thinking about Odysseus.

3. A favorite quote from a book. Lately been discussing a lot of Hunter S. Thompson, so I would go with,"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like, "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive . . ."And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about 100 miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"

4. Who do you consider your role model, literary or otherwise?Role Model? Hmmm, well i would say my father is my biggest hero and probably role model. He's a great man.

5. What music, if any, do you listen to when you're writing? I always listen to music! Right now some of my favorites are: Rob Dickinson acoustic, Radiohead, David Gray, and Aidan Hawken.
6. Have you ever faked reading anything? If so what? Haha, great question! Well, I was an English Major in College so the answer has to be yes!!!! And I think it was either Dubliners or Ulysses by James Joyce!


Thanks so much Mr. Meier for joining us Chicks today!

That's it for today!
READ ON CHICKS!!

7 comments:

Sophie B. said...

I totally agree! This novella is not a boring long book but an amazing and fast reading tale that when you finish it you think.. may I have some more? Plus the characters are so hot and unpredictable and their language has such a power on the reader, love the dialogues! I hope to enjoy very soon another story by this author, his style is so original and deeply involving!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the book review, I will have to add him to my tbr list.

Stephen Meier said...

Hey there, thank you so much for taking the time to read and review my book, it's greatly appreciated. It means a lot to me and I truly want to thank you.

Bingo said...

Your review is interesting and perhaps I will get a chance to read Mr. Meier's work some time.

PLEASE come by my blog as I have an award for you..thanks!

Jess said...

Great interview. This sounds like an intense read, thanks for recommending it.

Vanessa said...

I'm glad you liked this novel! It wasn't my thing, but I was sure lots of other people would enjoy it. And I love your interview questions! I may have to borrow a few of them sometime...

Unknown said...

This one sounds pretty interesting. :)